Monday, July 23, 2007

Dreaming away in the sunset of Ohrid

Ohrid has always been a place dear to my heart, and it is not easy to describe the reason with words. The sunset is always charming, the lake is always colourful, food is extraordinary and the people are special. It is a mixture of modernity and ancient history. Every piece of soil we walk on dates back to the blood and tears of ancient conquest and empire. You can cross the lake by boat to Albania illegally, but I wouldn't recommend it in case your motor breaks down in the middle of the lake. It is at least two hours to each side if you row by hands from the border line. If it rains while you were there, I recommend you stay with some local people to drink cocktail or to learn how to cook Macadonian food from a grand mother. Hopping around the bars among teenagers in Ohrid at night, I feel young again--submerged in the lyrics of love and bitterness. As a foreigner, I feel I am most welcomed here among motivated people who try to build their country amongst political chaos. Come see it.

No comments: